Thursday, December 3, 2009

File 'The Story of Cap and Trade' in the Fiction Section

Wow. I’m an old social justice campaigner from way back. And I like someone who challenges authority and conventional wisdom. But badly done propaganda is badly done propaganda. It’s a shame that the Story of Stuff’s Annie Leonard did not do her homework when she decided to take on cap and trade in her new video, The Story of Cap and Trade.

As I watched this clever little diatribe, I tried to take note of every error and misleading statement in preparation for this blog. But thankfully I was rescued from having to write a thousand word rebuttal after coming across two cogent articles from Grist: Cataloguing The Errors by Eric de Place and Annie Leonard Misses the Mark by David Roberts.

We need to debate the details of cap and trade policy. We need a population that is literate in the issue of carbon policies and strategies. If the polemical Ms. Leonard gets the ball rolling with this errant missile, then I will take my hat off to her. In the meantime, please take everything you hear with a grain of salt. In a video full of misrepresentation and half-truths, she did get one thing right ... ‘the devil *is* in the details’.

No comments:

Post a Comment